Common Questions

Question: #1)
How many feet are in a pole?

Answer: #1)
16.5 feet

Question: #2)
How many square feet are in an acre?

Answer: #2)
43,560 sq. ft.

Question: #3)
My deed calls for 10 acres, but after it was surveyed it turns out we only have 7.5 acres. We are being taxed for the 10 acres, can we change that?

Answer: #3)
Yes you can.  Take a copy of your survey to your county’s Tax Office and show them that you are being taxed incorrectly. They should change it and tax you for the correct amount; however, this does not entitle you to a refund from the County for the previous years of incorrect real estate being taxed. This is one way that you can save money by having a current survey done.

Question: #4)
I have already had a survey completed and it shows 20 acres. Can you just draw a line in the middle of the map and split my property into two 10-acre tracts to save me money and not have to pay for additional survey work?

Answer: #4)
No. In order for there to be a correct survey of the two tracts, we can’t just draw a line on the map. We must return to the property and correctly place new pins at the new division corners and then revise the survey map or create a new survey map to show the two separate tracts which will need to comply with your counties zoning and subdivision regulations.

Question: #5)
What processes do you go thru in order to do a survey of my property?

Answer: #5)
We start the process by locating your property on your counties tax map or GIS site, and then we find the deed of your property to get an accurate description of the layout of your property. If there is not an accurate description, then we must trace your deed back to its origin. We must also retrieve the deed information from adjoining property to get an accurate description of their property.  After all the necessary parcels have been researched, we plot the deeds up to form “puzzle pieces”. Once this is completed, the crew goes out to the property to make location of corners, markers, etc. utilizing modern surveying equipment and storing this information into the Survey Data Collector. From the Data Collector, we import the coordinates of your property into the computer and calculations are made to set missing corners and draw your map. Our maps usually include the boundary of the property, any (creeks, branches, rivers, if possible) easements, road frontage, dwellings, buildings etc. After this process, we then create an accurate survey plat to take to an attorney of your choice.

Question: #6)
I had a surveyor to come and survey my property, but I believe that one of the lines they marked is wrong. What should I do?

Answer: #6)
The best thing to do in a situation like this is to contact your surveyor and ask them to explain to you their process of why they put the line where they did. If you feel comfortable after hearing the explanation, then all is well. However, if you do not feel comfortable with the explanation given to you, you are more than within your rights to get a second opinion from another surveyor. This will be an additional cost to you by the second surveyor because they will have to do the research; deeds plots and determine if the line is right or wrong. If both surveyors determine the line is in the correct place, then there was probably just a misunderstanding somewhere down the chain of title of the property. However, if the second surveyor should find that the line to be different, you should take the second map to the original surveyor and have them look at it to see if maybe there was a mistake made somewhere. If nothing can be resolved, you should probably seek legal counsel.

Question: #7)
My neighbor keeps pulling up the survey stakes that were placed there from the survey I had completed. What can I do about this?

Answer: #7)
First try talking to your neighbor.  Maybe it is just a misunderstanding. If you wish, contact the surveyor and they will come back out to your property and reset the stakes.  I’m sure for a fee for their time. If the neighbor moves it again, then you apparently are involved in a property line dispute. The best thing to do in a situation like this is to consult an attorney or some form of legal counsel.

Question: #8)
If I call a surveyor to come out to my property and mark a line for me, will they put it where I think it should go?

Answer: #8)
No. Just because you think you know where the property line is, doesn’t necessarily mean that’s where the line goes according to a deed or plats of record. A surveyor will research the property and get an accurate metes and bounds description of where the line is supposed to go and then mark it.

Question: #9)
When I see the following in my deed description:

N10°15’30″E 100.51’…what does this mean?

Answer: #9)
This is what is commonly called a bearing and distance used in surveying to tell the direction and distance to a property corner or some other point of reference that may be in a deed or on a plat.

The (N) stands for North…..10° or 10 degrees 15′ or 15 minutes 30″ or 30 seconds (E) stands for East………The reverse call for the above example would be South 10°15’30″ West *** The distance for that ‘leg or segment’ of the boundary is 100.51′ (feet) this is a unit of measure called engineering units which could be expressed also as 100 feet 6 & 1/8 inches. As you can see this makes the engineering units a lot easier to work with.

Question #10)
How much does a survey cost?

Answer #10)
Survey fees are based on several factors.  These include the scope of the project and the number of hours required to complete the work.  Including research, field time, calculations & drafting, terrain, vegetation & availability of boundary corners.  We do not set fees for our professional services but address each project individually.

These questions represent some of the questions that are asked on a regular basis. If you have a question that is not listed above give us a call and we will be glad to try and help you find an answer. Understand that we are not attorneys therefore the information listed above should not be interpreted as legal advice. Always consult a legal professional if you are involved legal matters concerning your property.